Monday, March 28, 2011

the importance of writing

I think that it is important that students are able to relate what they read to themselves, in other words, to make text-to-self connections. When students are writing to express their feelings or opinions that means so much more than just meaningless writing assignments. They are able to truly express themselves. If their writing time is set up in a way where there aren't strict grading rules they feel free to experiment in their writing. I think too often classrooms take this approach. I have seen my mentor teachers use writing in this way. It can be quite frustrating because then the students don't write for anything besides an assignment. They feel constantly constrained and frustrated. They write for work, never for fun.

That is something I think i will be really important in my classroom. I don't want my students to see writing as a chore, but rather an adventure. I want them to experience and be constantly be exposed to many types of text, many types of writing. I want them to enjoy each step of writing, even if it sometimes is a challange. I cant my students to write outside of class, and learn to write to epress who they are and what they believe. One thing I loved growing up was having a writers notebook, and I think that every student should have one. Each student should feel comfortable writing without the consequences of getting a bad grade. I think tis a great way to get to know students and be able to constantly encourage them in who they are as people. They can make a difference and sometimes writing can help them realize that.

1 comment:

  1. I love this philosophy of writing instruction. I strive for many of these same values myself. You are really developing a solid vision - you might remember this post when you work on your final piece for this course, which is all about your vision for writing in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete