Monday, January 31, 2011

Chapters 9,10,13 of Writers Workshop

Something that really jumped out to me was a part of chapter 10 that talked about conventions. There are many conventions that students struggle with, but this chapter gave me great redirection regarding teaching these conventions to students. I agree that it is definitely better for students to be taught certain conventions that they are struggling with in a small group or during individual instruction. I will also remember after reading this chapter that it is often wrong to assume all of my students have the same need in regards to conventions that they need more instruction on. There are sometimes blanket conventional practices that can be directed towards the whole class. I saw this occur in my classroom as my 2nd graders were learning about transition words. They all needed to come to the understanding of what a transition word was, and it was helpful for all of them to try using them in their writing. I think that was a great choice of topic made by my mentor teacher, due to the fact that almost all of the students were being introduced to the topic of transitions for the first time.

I think another topic that really struck me was allowing students the opportunity to write outside of school. They are thus able to see writing apart from schoolwork. They are able to better see how writing can really become a part of their daily lives. I think that this is a great idea to encourage for all students in every grade level. It is a great way to really get to know your students and it is a great way to allow them to explore themselves while becoming writers. They will become more confident and will also have more constant writing practice that doesn't feel like a burden. Writing can put so much into prespective and I think that children can write in ways that can surprise us. We can begin to see their dreams, struggles, and the depths of who they are. I will definitely make sure that my students get constant opporutnities to just write, in the classroom and at home. I think it tells so much about a person.

1 comment:

  1. Your point about whole class teaching is well said - why do we spend a lot of whole class teaching time on something when many in the class already get it and can apply it on their own? Like your teacher wisely did, we should use a lot of that whole class time to introduce what is new or what most are struggling with (or just not understanding.) This is when it helps to know your students as writers and take note of the issues in their work. If you are seeing widespread patterns of problems, that is your cue that whole class instruction is the right move.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete